Tuesday 11 September 2012

Bloggers Challenge #2: Week 2 - Rewarding vs Reminding

Hi guys!  Here's my responses for the Bloggers Challenge for Week 2.  I think this is a good chance for me to settle into my goals for this round and beyond.  Thanks 77Noni for the questions this week.

What are your goals for this week?
  • To eat clean every day
  • To manage red flag meals effectively
  • To train 6 days and burn my calorie goal
  • To have an awesome result on the scales next Wednesday
  • To organise myself
  • To reassess my weight goals
  • To work at 100% at the QLD Crew Unofficial Finale group workout
  • To work at 100% at boot camp (PIP) on Sunday 
  • To decide on my Week 12 Major Milestone as I need a new one!
What is/are your main goal/goals for week four of the twelve weeks?
  • To improve on my fitness test from last time
  • To achieve my Week 4 Mini Milestone 
  • To meet (or surpass!) my weight goal
  • To be into a more improved routine with my cook-ups / meals / shopping planning
  • To continue my training program
  • To get back to managing my Diet Coke addiction
What is/are your main goal/goals for week eight of the twelve weeks?
  • To do at least 1 push up on my toes!
  • To achieve my Week 8 Mini Milestone (my first triathlon!)
  • To be on track with my weight goal
  • To continue my training program and nutrition
What is/are your main goal/goals for week twelve of the twelve weeks?
  • To reach my weight goal for this round
  • To feel amazing
  • To be a Size 16/18
  • To be able to see a massive difference in my before and after photos
  • To achieve my Week 12 Major Milestone 
  • To be on track with my training and nutrition
What is/are your main goal/goals for one year in the future?
  • To be maintaining my goal weight 
  • To run a half marathon


77Noni asked us whether we agree with Ralphy and Nat-o:

The reward of a thing well done is having done it. 

Ralph Waldo Emerson

 

Awards are so unnecessary, because I think we get so much out of our work by just doing it. The work is a reward in itself.

Natalie Portman



I don't agree.  But not for the obvious reasons:

Why do you think its important to reward yourself along the way as you achieve your goals as a 12wbt?
I think it's important to reward yourself along the way, not because the rewards of the journey and end result are not reward enough, BUT BECAUSE rewards along the way are reminders of what we are doing and achieving.  Weight loss can often be a long road.  I myself have 83kg to lose in total.  That's not something that can be done in a week or two, of course.  It takes a long time!  And the journey is difficult at times!  I think that anything that helps you stay on track is a good thing.  If it's a new pair of earrings that remind you of your first 5kg loss, then that is great and is a great reminder of how hard you worked to get rid of that 5kg.


Likewise it's just good to have things to look forward to along the way.  Yes, losing weight is rewarding, but if you can break it down into smaller chunks and celebrate those smaller chunks along the way, the journey can be a lot more enjoyable, interactive and interesting.  Small wins are worth celebrating.  I like to look at my rewards as reminders of why I am doing this and pieces of encouragement to keep me pushed along my journey.  Celebrate the journey!


What rewards do you have planned when you achieve the goals?
My list is long :)  These are just a handful of some of my rewards I have set out for myself.  To be honest, yes I'll need a second job to pay for them, but I don't care :)
  • Bellybutton ring (for my new flat stomach!  It's just something I've never been able to have done)
  • Go for a ride on a Brisbane CitiCat at night in my Size 10 goal red dress (wind in my hair kind of experience) :)
  • New boots (I've never been able to find knee high boots that fit over my calves - boots are like this glamorous thing I've always not associated with myself)
  • New wardrobe (this doesn't need an explanation!)
  • New gold ring (treat!)
  • Hair cut / colour / straighten (before the CitiCat ride - like part of a pamper day) :)
  • Brisbane Eye ride at night (The Brisbane Eye is a ferris wheel that I probably couldn't ride on at my current weight.  I haven't even checked because I feel like I don't belong on that ride.  I will soon though!)
  • Glamour photo shoot (of course!)
  • New handbag (I need a new one and refuse to buy it until I reach goal)
(See why I'll need a second job to pay for these?  I'm a bit of a dreamer at times) ;)

But as you can see, my list (and these are only some of them!) is very involved and long and expensive.  However my weight loss journey has been way more involved, longer and expensive (I'm not just talking financially).  Of course, getting to my goal weight itself is all that I truly want.  I'd throw the boots and hair cut out the window in a heart beat if it just meant that I could reach my goal.  But, I say, why not?  It's exciting to look forward to and I deserve them.  I can't wait! :)  What are some of your rewards? :)

2 comments:

  1. Wow. Just WOW. You are incredible. You just gave me a whole new perspective. Who cares if you need a second job to pay for those, I hope you do each and every one of them :) you only live once right!!! Xo

    ReplyDelete
  2. Brilliant post and absolutely fabulous rewards, that carrot dandgling at each step in the journey. I'm rewarding myself tomorrow actually. I did last round but didn't actually do anything to pat myself on the back. So tomorrow I am having a facial. I'm so excited, the last facial I had was about 25 years ago. What a spur on to continue the journey. And if I love it tomorrow, I'll be booking another one in for the end of round 3! Great incentive.

    Carol
    www.finding-carol.blogspot.com

    ReplyDelete