Wednesday 27 June 2012

Wow. An amazing 48 hours

I have just had the most amazing 48 hours.  So many goals have been met and SMASHED!  I wanted to tell you about them!

I kicked Kickboxing's butt!
Read my previous post about this one :)

I caught a train!
Yes, I did it!  After 3 years I finally did it.  I mentioned in a previous post that I was planning on doing this so that I could achieve my Mini Milestone for Week 4 of 12WBT.  In the end, this ended up being almost a bigger milestone than the planned milestone itself.  My Mini Milestone was to walk home from work, door to door.  It was just something that I had always 'meant to' do.  I live exactly 10km from work but I estimated that walking would be approx. 8-10km.  Anyway - to walk home from work, I had to get to work in the morning.

I've been driving to work for 3 years and the bigger I have gotten, I have developed a bit of a social anxiety issue with catching a train.  I could have driven to work and left my car there overnight, walked home and then walked back to work the next morning....I even contemplated catching a cab.  But in the end I decided to JFDI and train it in.  Eeeek!

I caught an early-ish train so there'd be less people.  To be honest it wasn't that early, and there were a fair few people on the train.  I armed myself with a big dose of JFDI and my iPhone earphones, playing Mish's podcasts over and over.  I was feeling sick walking to the train station and almost turned around and went home.  I recognise how silly this sounds - I used to catch it daily without a second thought!  And it's only a 15min. journey!

Anyway, I did it! :)

I walked home from work!
It ended up being 8.36km and took me 1 hour 57min.  And Murphy's Law paid a visit...it hasn't rained much in Brisbane lately at all.  Until yesterday.  By the time it came time to walk home, it was pretty heavy.  My colleague's boot camp got cancelled due to an electrical storm warning.  BUT NOTHING WAS GOING TO STOP ME!  Friends at work was kindly suggesting to do it 'tomorrow' when it wasn't raining.

Well 'tomorrow' for me had turned into about 3 years of 'one day' so I was going to do it, electrical storm or no electrical storm!  It ended up just being heavy rain and no storm thank goodness.  But I borrowed a friends umbrella (I had left mine at home that day to save weight in my bag, thinking it hadn't rained in so long that it wouldn't matter!) and I was off!

I felt a bit dizzy at times but I powered through.  8km may seem like an every day thing for some people but that was huge for me.  A bigger thing than the distance to overcome for me was the 'walking in front of people' thing.  It helped that I had an umbrella to hide under, I must admit :)  But I walked and I walked and I didn't care.  I burnt just over 900 calories - score!  (Although I thought it would be more?)  I'm so proud that I did it.

I became a runner!
After I got home I had time for a quick warm shower and then had a rehearsal for a play that I'm in.  After it finished, I launched into my Week 4 fitness test.  I improved on all of my tests!  Some only slightly, but it was an improvement all round.  But the test that excited me the most was my 1km Time Trial.

When I did the Time Trial in Week 1, I did it in 10:21min.  After 100m of running at the start, I had to walk and I felt sick - my throat seized up and I didn't know if I could continue.  Honestly.

Last night?  I ran for 1km straight.  YES!  I RAN FOR 1KM STRAIGHT.  Oh my gosh!  Seriously!  I feel like I am dreaming.  Running is a huge goal for me and something that I've never been able to do - well, apart from Primary School I guess.

So last night's Time Trial was on my treadmill, and it was a slow run (my time was 9:50min.) but I still ran!  Far out!  I heard someone say recently (I think it was Mish?) that you are a runner as soon as you: run.  So, as of last night, I am now a runner.  And I couldn't be prouder. :) 

5% baby!
I did my weigh in this morning and I've now lost 5% of my weight since the start of Round 2!  I just realised I've lost more than that because I 'started' myself a week earlier...I've lost over 7% of my weight!  But officially 5% in the round.  So excited!  And this morning marked the 10kg weight loss from my start also.  AND I've lost 31.6cm since the start of the round too. :)

Other stuff
As if I wasn't already on a high this morning, today I got offered a job that I wanted!  And got an extension on my current work contract!!  Still a few things to organise in this space but I just wanted to mention it as a part of my amazing 45 hours.  My job situation has been a major cause of stress for me lately, and it has taken up a lot of focus that I would prefer to have put on my health.  Anyway it is slowly getting organised now which will help me a lot.

The best thing of all
These things have been great but the thing that has made me smile the most was waking up this morning to an email from Mish.  It was raining outside, I didn't want to get out of bed, I was exhausted (again).  I grabbed my phone and skimmed my emails.  Mish had sent her usual Wednesday email which I love.  It was the only email I read (as much as I can read when I'm half asleep).  I had my eyes half closed and skimmed the email.  She announced her Top 10 blogs for this round.  "Coco Girl" was listed.  WHAT?!  I thought I was dreaming and rubbed my eyes for a closer look.  My name was actually there!  This definitely got me out of bed. :)

It took me a few hours to believe it was true.  Thank you everyone SO much.  To everyone that has read this / is reading it, to the people who have left comments and to those who nominated this blog and to Mish and her team, thank you so much.  Your comments have touched me so much already - and to then be recognised for this as well?  I am over the moon and so excited.  It'll take me a few days to get sorted and I am working on a few 'extras' for my blog, but in the meantime I just wanted to say a big thank you.  This means a lot and has spurred me on already.  But thank you for this everyone.  I will continue to write from my heart and just hope that I can inspire and encourage people with it.


So there we go!  That's been my 48 hours!  I'm feeling more pumped and excited and thankful.  I realised a few things over the last couple of days, namely that I have to revisit my goals.  I'll keep you up to date on this.  But I just wanted to drop in to let everyone know that I'm smiling. :)

Thanks everyone!

Love Coco :) xxoo



No comments:

Post a Comment